The easiest solution wouild have been to add a latch that we then could have attached a pad lock to but that would have addressed the security issue but, you guessed it, created another toe obstruction.
After many hours of thought, I came up with what might just be the best invention of this whole re-fit.
I went to my friend at the Metal Supermarket and purchased 2 pieces of 2" x 2 1/2" x 10" of block aluminum, 2 pieces of 1 1/4" x 1 1/2" x 3 1/2" of block aluminum and 2 pieces of 1/2" diameter x 5 1/2" aluminum rod. I also ordered 2 throttle cables from Defender and created a plunge lock mechanism that will not only secure the lazarette doors, but also make accessing them really easy. With my good friend Clayton, we fabricated the plung locks today.
I will be installing the plungers between the doors under the deck and the receiver blocks on the underside of the doors themselves.
The last job I finished up today was completing the running lights and the bilge pump for the dinghy. I have sewed a small bag that will hold the nav lights, the oar paddles and the hand water pump when not in use. The battery compartment now has a connection for a small charging unit if the solar panel can't keep up.